Boots at Box Creek...

Posted by Peace is real! Peace is real!
               We now have dates set for our first two excursions in Box Creek Wilderness:

Saturday, June 15 and Friday, June 21. Participants can choose from either excursion date. Several of you have already signed up, but we want to be sure that everyone is aware of these opportunities to see what makes Box Creek Wilderness such a special asset in Rutherford and McDowell counties and why we're fighting to protect it.

Excursion groups will meet at 10:15AM on Box Creek Road to begin the hike at 10:30AM sharp. The hike will be three miles round-trip, and the group will stop for lunch at the top of Rockey Face Mountain.

If you are interested in attending one of these excursions, please email us with your preferred date and the number and names of people in your party.

 About the Excursions

Our first two excursions will be lead by one of the Box Creek Wilderness/Unique Places team ecologists, Lloyd Raleigh of Helia Environmental. They will go through the heart of Box Creek Wilderness, allowing participants to look at rare forest types including alluvial forests, dry basic oak-hickory forests and piedmont basic glades. Topics such as rare species, unusual plants, watersheds, geology, rocks, natural communities, and restoration ecology will be discussed. The hike will break for lunch on top of Rockey Face, with broad sweeping views.

 About the Hike

The hike is moderate except for the 1/4 mile to the top of Rockey Face (and back down from Rockey Face) which is more strenuous and steep.

 Lunch

A bag lunch will be provided by GO Kitchen-Ready, a project of Green Opportunities (GO) an Asheville community-based development organization dedicated to improving lives, communities and the health of the planet through innovative green collar job training and placement programs. GO Kitchen-Ready is a culinary training program that prepares graduates for employment in food service. There is no cost to participants for the lunch--the Box Creek Wilderness team is providing this to support and raise awareness for GO.

If you would like to join one of these excursions, or if you have any questions, email Elly Wells, Box Creek Wilderness Communications or call (828) 258-3387.

 www.boxcreekwilderness.com